Re: What in Hades?

Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 11:14 -0500, PJ wrote:
>
>> Something is rotten here. Twist it any way you like and it just does not
>> work.
>> I am trying to figure out the working of SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() and
>> cannot get beyond the first $sql - But it works fine from command-line!
>>
>> <?
>> include ("lib/db1.php");    // Connect to database
>>
>> $sql1 = "INSERT INTO test (name, age) VALUES ('Joe Blow', '69')";
>> $result1 = mysql_query($sql1,$db);
>> if ( !$result) {
>>   echo("<P>Error performing query: " .
>>        mysql_error() . "</P>");
>>   exit();
>> }
>>
>> THIS IS WHERE IT STOPS WITH ERROR.$sql1 just refuses to work. db
>> connection is fine and the INSERT works from xterm on remote puter.
>> Can't figure this out.
>> ============
>>

>> $sql = "SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() FROM test";
>>  $result = mysql_query($sql,$db);
>>  if (!$result) {
>>   echo("<P>Error performing query: " .
>>        mysql_error() . "</P>");
>>   exit();
>> }
>> while ( $row = mysql_fetch_array($result) ) {
>>   echo("<P>" . $row["id"] . "</P>");
>> }
>> ?>
>>
>> What am I missing here? Or how can I trace the error?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Phil Jourdan --- pj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>    http://www.ptahhotep.com
>>    http://www.chiccantine.com
>>

> PHP has a built-in function for retrieving the last inserted auto id,
> called mysql_insert_id (http://uk2.php.net/mysql_insert_id) which is a
> lot easier than using another query to do the same. So in your above
> line, you would replace
>
> $sql = "SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() FROM test";
>
> with:
>
> $sql = mysql_insert_id($result1);
>
> and then remove the $result line, as you don't need to execute a query
> for it now.

Thanks for that... but how do I see what is returned - and what do I do
with it - is it a string a value or what? And how do I recuperate it for
further use?
I have been trying with the little proggie above to see just what is
returned and how to deal with it for further inserts and selects etc.
But I AM NOT GETTING BEYOND THE FIRST QUERY and that is frustrating...