Re: Re: Unique User Hashes

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Ian <barnracoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Forgot to send to list.

I think preregistration is essential if you truly need to prevent
multiple votes. After all, when I go to cast my ballot in an election,
I only get the privilege because I have preregistered to do so. If
anyone can come along to a web site and vote and there is no
registration, it sounds a lot more like a web poll than an actual
ballot. Some sites I've seen that use polls seem to have done a pretty
decent job of limiting votes (none come to mind off the top of my
head) but ultimately all that any web poll has available to depend on
will be an IP address (which may or may not be the actual client,
depending on proxies and gateways) and the request headers (including
cookies). Each has its own vulnerablities, as already discussed.
Variables such as HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, HTTP_X_VIA, etc. may get
closer, but ultimately these are just request headers that are easy to
forge, munge and/or discard at multiple points between the client and
your server.

Andrew