Re: Full versus relative URLs

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>> Michael A. Peters wrote:

>>> Easy to solve.
>> I neglected to mention, although, it must be fairly obvious that I'm
>> fairly new to all this ["newbie" but not virgin :-) ]
>> Comments below -->
>>> ini_set("include_path",
>>> "/srv/domain/phpinclude:/srv/domain/record_include:/srv/domain/process_include");
>>>

>> 1. Where to I put it?
>> 2. srv = ? domain = ? phpinclude = ? record, process... = ? server, but
>> like what? a url?
>
> /srv/domain/phpinclude is just an example directory path.
>
> /var/www or /usr/www are other common examples.
>
> If your server is Windows, I don't have any experience with how php
> sees windows file paths, but I believe it still uses a unix like
> forward slash syntax.
my server is FreeBSD 7.0

My situation is this: I am evolving www.ptahhotep.com from pure HTML to
php-mysql-css (not an easy task for a newbie :-) )
The challenge is to set up the web site on my local server and then move
it all to my web host.
Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure I have no access to the setup
files for apache, mysql or anything else. So, I don't think I can use
the ini_set() function.
Therefore, I am limited to the document root & subdirectories.
So, I still don't understand how the include statement should be
formulated so that when I include a file it will be included from
anywhere in the direcctory tree.

--

Phil Jourdan --- pj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.ptahhotep.com