RE: Re: <?php=

> As long as we're taking votes... Most of my template code looks like
> this:
> <?php echo $this->escape($this->var) ?>
>
> I'd be happy to never see any variation of <?= again as it is not the
> bottleneck of my productivity.

I can appreciate that, but PHP *is* a templating language that is meant to embed dynamic strings into static strings.

Therefore, I strongly agree that there should be a shorthand for this type of thing.  When considering correct separation of code and templates, this output of dynamic strings should be optimized in all ways possible - both performance wise and syntactically.

And yes, all of my template code uses short tags for direct string output and the short tags do cause problems so I'm looking forward to a better way.  Even in PHP 5 :)