Re: Full versus relative URLs

Tim-Hinnerk Heuer

http://www.ihostnz.com
Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."

2009/2/17 Paul M Foster <paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:39:29PM +0200, Thodoris wrote:
>

> >> Here's a question related to my last post. When specifying a link in a
> >> HTML file (like to the css or an image file), there are two ways of
> >> doing it. One is to simply include the relative path to the file
> >> (relative to the doc root), like:
> >>
> >> /graphics/my_portrait.gif
> >>
> >> Or you can include the full URL, like:
> >>
> >> http://example.com/graphics/my_portrait.gif
> >>
> >> My casual observation seems to indicate that the former will load faster
> >> than the latter. But has anyone done any benchmarking on it?
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> > I am not aware if absolute URLs are faster or not (in case they are
> > there will be such a small difference you cannot probably notice) but
> > IMHO it is a bad practice to use full URLs.
> >
> > Basically because renaming directories or scripts will cause great pain
> > in the ass.
> >
> > Of course resources that are coming outside your own site are needed to
> > use absolute URLs and nobody is assuming that are useless.
>
> Agreed. But here's the real reason, in my case. We develop the pages on
> an internal server, which has the URL http://pokey/mysite.com. When we
> move the pages to the live server at mysite.com, all the URLs would have
> to be rewritten. Ugh.

In that case you could change your hosts file (unix: /etc/hosts windows:
%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and add a line with the live server's
ip like so:

123.456.789.12 www.example.com

and all your URLs would be right. When you need to check the live domain,
you can simply comment out that line with #.

;) Hope this helps a few people. Saved me a lot of grief.