Re: Re: for the security minded web developer - secure way to login?

Colin Guthrie wrote:
'Twas brillig, and German Geek at 15/02/09 22:32 did gyre and gimble:
Please enlighten me why it is so expensive? Is it maybe just the hassle of
setting it up?

The whole thing is about trust. Getting a certificate is nothing if the system is not backed up by a trust system. If a CA was setup that gave out certificates willy nilly to all and sundry, then this element of trust is lost.

Cheap CA's do exist. They have crappy web sites and send you all kinds of junk mail etc. if you use them - but they do exist.

I might end up just paying godaddy - I think they charge $12.00 / year, but since I already register through them, they already have my address etc.

But the problem I have with FF3 is that I shouldn't have to.
I don't need to prove to the user that I am really me, and I don't want to use a cert that some other organization has control over and can choose to revoke at any time. I just the flipping password encrypted by SSL so that when Betty who uses the same password for everything (it's amazing how many people do) logs onto my server while she has coffee at Starbucks, her uname/password isn't sniffed giving Cracker Jack access to Betty's PayPal account.

If Cracker Jack wants to do a man in the middle attack - as long as Betty has already connected to me before, her browser will still inform her that the certificate doesn't match - whether or not I am self signed, so the man in the middle attack is really not the big deal FireFox makes it out to be.

What they should do is a simple notification telling the user they can't verify the website is who it claims to be, and a link for more info if the user wants more info.

But alas, that has nothing to do with php, so I apologize to the list.

Anyway, back on topic - if you want to encrypt login, use SSL.
You can self sign for free.
If you don't want the FireFox 3 issue, there are a few free and plenty of cheap certificate authorties that FireFox recognizes.