Re: [PHP 5.2.8] Retrieve cookies from remote host and pass them back to client.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Jason Cipriani
<jason.cipriani@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I have a PHP 5.2.8 web application that needs to retrieve a resource
> from a remote URL. However, the remote host also sends a cookie back
> (in a Set-Cookie header), and I need to grab that cookie and pass it
> on to the client (so that it's stored by the client browser). I do
> know the name of the cookie beforehand.
>
> What is the best way to do this? Passing a cookie from PHP back to the
> client is easy, it's grabbing the cookie from the remote URL that is
> the problem.
>
> There is no support for cookies in file_get_contents(), so that won't
> work. I can use curl to retrieve the remote URL with headers, but curl
> does not seem to provide an easy way to get the value of the cookie
> beyond retrieving the HTTP headers and parsing them manually. I could
> use and parse curl's cookie file (another hack) but the cookie
> contains a value that is randomly generated, and the cookies in curl's
> cookie jar are global to all PHP requests (so if multiple users made
> the same request, their cookie value could be shared).
>
> How can I retrieve the contents of a remote resource as well as the
> value of a cookie sent with that resource?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> P.S.: Also, as a minor side question; how, if at all, would the method
> for doing this be different in PHP 4.4.9?

I usually use the HttpRequest for this type of stuff, but it only works with
PHP 5.0/5.1 and greater. Otherwise, CURL is the next easiest, followed by
direct socket connections.

Keep in mind when passing the cookie to the client that if the client
browser is set to reject 3rd party cookies and you pass a value for $domain
to setcookie() that is different than the domain of your site, the browser
will ignore the header.

Andrew