Re: Help on caching an object.

2009/2/11 Yeti <yeti@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello gang,
>
> First of all, yes I searched the mailing list's archive.
>
> My problem is very simple:
> I have an object that's definately called with every page request.
> It's pretty much the same for every unregistered/anonymous user.
> And it's not small. Alot of attributes are being set from DB queries etc.
>
> Now my idea was to do some sort of caching with PHP to speed things up.
> So I was wondering if anybody had experiences on this ...
>
> Of course, I considered using serialize(), but it seemed to me as if
> it could cause even more lagging since PHP requires the class to
> unserialize the object correctly. Then I would end up reading the
> class file, reading the searialized object and unserializing it. A 100
> simple DB queries might be done in the same time or at least not much
> slower.
>
> Could it be that I'm looking at the wrong place? Should it be more
> like caching the queries or something similar?
>
> Thank you very much for everyone's effort in advance.

I suggest you look at memcached - it's an in-memory volatile cache
that performs extremely well. APC has a similar feature but I've never
used it.

Also, are you guestimating the performance of DB queries against a
serialised file? Do some tests and you might be surprised at how
quickly PHP can unserialise data.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/