Re: PHP OOP

2009/2/9 tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi gang:
>
> At the college where I teach, they are considering teaching OOP, but they
> don't want to settle on a specific language.

I guess that is not a good idea, you should really combine it with a
language, as some students will be curious enough to play around with
it at home and so they'll also learn more.

> My thoughts are it's difficult to teach OOP without a language -- while the
> general concepts of OOP are interesting, people need to see how concepts are
> applied to understand how they work -- thus I think a specific language is
> required
>
> I lean toward C++ because I wrote in it for a few years AND C++ appears to
> be the most common, widespread, and popular OOP language.

Yes C++ is not bad for this, but it has also got some flaws.

> However, while I don't know PHP OOP, I am open to considering it because of
> the proliferation of web based applications. My personal opinion is that's
> where all programming is headed anyway, but that's just my opinion.
>
> With that said, what's the differences and advantages/disadvantages between
> C++ and PHP OOP?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Both of them have got the disadvantage that they also support
procedural programming. Some of your students will for sure not
understand OOP immediately and they'll avoid using it this way.

I guess Java is really a good idea, there are some great Editors
around for it (Netbeans...) It's completely OOP and there are many
great tutorials for it in the net, so a willing student can easily go
on after the class is over.

I really didn't like Java some months ago, but I have to learn it at
school myself now and I think it's great to learn. It avoids most of
the errors that come from C++'s pointers etc. so you can really focus
on teaching OOP and not why you must always reserve memory etc.

Later on it'll sure be easy to switch to other languages (though I
can't really tell this because I started with C++ when I was ten years
old and discovered PHP later and get to know Java know)

So: My vote goes to Java, or if you want a decision between C++ and
PHP it's C++.

--
Currently developing a browsergame...
http://www.p-game.de