Re: PHP OOP

2009/2/9 tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi gang:
>
> At the college where I teach, they are considering teaching OOP, but they
> don't want to settle on a specific language.
>
> My thoughts are it's difficult to teach OOP without a language -- while the
> general concepts of OOP are interesting, people need to see how concepts are
> applied to understand how they work -- thus I think a specific language is
> required
>
> I lean toward C++ because I wrote in it for a few years AND C++ appears to
> be the most common, widespread, and popular OOP language.
>
> However, while I don't know PHP OOP, I am open to considering it because of
> the proliferation of web based applications. My personal opinion is that's
> where all programming is headed anyway, but that's just my opinion.
>
> With that said, what's the differences and advantages/disadvantages between
> C++ and PHP OOP?

C++ is a good option, but if OOP is the focus it might be better to
use Java or similar where you don't need to worry so much about memory
management. If you're dealing with people who know C then C++ will
work well, otherwise not. The worst thing you can do is skip over the
details of C++ development because you want to focus on OOP. You'll
end up with a bunch of people who *think* they can code in C++ but
really haven't got a clue.

Personally I'd have preferred my university to use Smalltalk, but none
of the professors knew it so I had to teach myself. It's the original
and IMHO still the best implementation of OOP concepts around.

-Stuart

--
http://stut.net/