Re: PHP usage stats

At 2:35 PM +0000 2/8/09, Richard Heyes wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone point out some general statistics on PHP usage compared to
other server languages? I've tried Netcraft, but they only appear (or
I've only found) to have statistics on the httpd server used.

Thanks.

--
Richard Heyes

Richard:

I went looking for that same information a few weeks ago myself.

I wasn't able to find a lot of information, but here's a useful link:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

I wrote them and asked for "where's ASP" in that listing. You see, I wanted to compare the number of ASP users to the number of PHP users -- I was thinking that ASP is the closest language to be PHP's competition (I may be wrong). They wrote back:

"Thanks for your feedback on our TIOBE index. ASP is not a programming language as such, that's why it is not part of the index. Please read the FAQ at the end of the page (or search for ASP on the page) for more details. If you want to compare PHP to ASP, here are my 2 cents. You could combine Visual Basic and C# to get a guestimate. Then ASP is 14.8% versus PHP 8.9%."

The only thing that brothers me about the 8.9 percent is how can that be if there are millions of web sites that use php and that number is growing? Additionally, this month they report a lower percentage for php than they did last month -- it appears that something is wrong.

If you find any information of the numbers of php users out there, please let me know.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------