Re: Adding Records & Capture The New Record ID

On 2/7/2009 11:41 AM, "Stuart" <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Then, after I inserted the record -  I would do a quick query that would
>> retrieve the record ID by searching for the random number
>
> Ouch that's nasty!!
>
>> Q: is there a better way to retrieve the record ID from the newly added
>> record?
>
> Use an auto_increment field then, assuming MySQL you can use
> mysql_insert_id to get the ID of the last record inserted on a given
> connection.
>
> -Stuart

Thanks Stuart - it works great - so much Less Nasty!

BTW: as long as - mysql_insert_id is right after the insert statement - is
it 100% accurate - (in that no other insert from another user could get in
the middle of this)?

--
Thanks - RevDave
Cool @ hosting4days . com