Adding Records & Capture The New Record ID

Newbie question...

Hi folks,

Adding records & capture the new record ID:

In the past, if I added a new record from a form in a phonebook file as an
example,  I would use a web form to fill out the info,  and then add and
invisible text item that stored a random number in one of the unused
database fields.

Then, after I inserted the record -  I would do a quick query that would
retrieve the record ID by searching for the random number

Q: is there a better way to retrieve the record ID from the newly added
record?

--
Thanks - RevDave
Cool @ hosting4days . com