Re: Re: Some kind of Popup

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 09:06 -0500, Patrick Moloney wrote:
> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >> I think that's what I was considering doing with CSS except it would be
> >> labels only in the content. I only wanted to retrieve the data record
> >> from mysql if the user asked for the specs.
> >>
> >> One issue is I don't want to leave the space available on my regular web
> >> page and would like to try not to overwrite something there - I'd rather
> >> have a separate window of some sort that sort of floats over the web page.
> >>
> > The best way to have the popup work, even with popup blockers is to have
> > a link like this:

> > blank', 'details','width=300,height=200');">More Details</a>
> >
> > The onclick handler is called before the link is actioned, and it opens
> > a new window with your settings, called 'details'. When that is
> > finished, the browser continues actioning the link, looks to find the
> > window/frame called 'details', finds one, and uses it. This way, even if
> > a user has scripting turned off, the link still works and opens in a new
> > window.
> >

> > Ash
> > www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Ashley,
> Thanks, I finally worked on the popup you suggested. That is the closest
> to what I am looking for. I'm sure there are some other settings that
> could be useful. For example, the popup window gets hidden behind the
> primary web page if the user goes back there, and does not come back if
> he clicks again.
>
> But, my bigger question is this: Is this solution specific to MS
> Windows. What would happen if someone were viewing the website using
> Apple or Linus etc?
>
> Here's hoping you see this.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick

I use Linux myself, and the Window does stay in the background if it's
already open. You could fix this by changing the onclick a bit:

function details_popup()
{
    detailsWin = window.open('about: blank',
'details','width=300,height=200');
    detailsWin.focus();
}
</script>

onclick="details_popup()">More Details</a>

I've not tested this, but it should allow your link to bring the window
to focus even if it is already open and in the background.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk