php COM example usage

Hi,

I have some cli scripts that previously ran on Linux, now i have to make
available on Linux. I use semaphores for synchronization. I also have to
develop some new scripts for windows that interact other custom programs. I
need to create and signale events. Basically what i need is acces to the win
api. If i am not mistaking (i am not much of a windows kind of person) i
cann acces this via COM. I have searched for  other methods too, but i foudn
thet the Com extension is the only trust worthy. Other extensions for
windows like the win32api is experimental, i need a stable solution for
this. I am now stuck on how to access the win api via COM if possible. I
have found  that something like

 $Object = new COM("WinNT://Semaphore");

works, but takes a long time to complete, and after that i no idea how to go
on from there. There is a callable create() function on the object, but it
complains about arguments.
where can i find information about thease com objects? Is the instantiation
of a Com objects really that slow or am i doing somthing wrong?

--
Alpar Torok