Re: DB Comparisons

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 12:36:02PM -0800, revDAVE wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I¹m curious if there are any previous discussions / Articles / URL¹s that
> compare the power and scalability of MySQL (with php) with other
> technologies like MS sequel server oracle -  coldfusion etc....
>
> I imagine that most middleware like php / asp / coldfusion is relatively
> good & fast - (let me know if one is better ).	Mostly I¹m concerned with
> the speed and power of the backend database as to how it functions on an
> enterprise scale ­ such as how many hits it can handle per hour ­
> how many
> users before it starts to slow down etc.

I don't know what backing DMBS Coldfusion uses, but Coldfusion requires
server support of a proprietary nature. Likewise, MSSQL is a proprietary
product, and I doubt it has the performance characteristics you need.

In case it wasn't clear, I would always opt for an Open Source solution
before any proprietary one. The arguments are well known.

MySQL is not an enterprise database. And its most useful database types
are owned by a large corporation which isn't entirely friendly towards
the Open Source movement. It's only recently that MySQL has acquired
some of the characteristics of enterprise DBMSes. For the longest time,
MySQL relied on the programmer to handle his/her own foreign keys and
such. It is very fast, and very suitable for web databases. And it has
widespread API support in other languages.

PostgreSQL *is* an enterprise database. It was designed from the
beginning by DBAs, not programmers as MySQL was. It is comparable in
performance to Oracle and MySQL, though this depends on the types of
queries you're doing. But it has full transactional support, foreign
keys, <insert appropriate DBMS marketroid terms here>. And of course, it
it not owned by a company and is fully Open Source.

Feel free to flame me about this. I did a survey years ago before
selecting PostgreSQL as our internal company DBMS. I've tracked the
comparisons over the years, when PostgreSQL lagged in speed behind MySQL
and seen PostgreSQL speed up. And I've seen MySQL add full-fledged DBMS
features. So their capabilities have come closer and closer together.
But I believe PostgreSQL is still the superior choice for an
*enterprise* DBMS.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster