Re: DB Comparisons

revDAVE wrote:
Hi Folks,

I¹m curious if there are any previous discussions / Articles / URL¹s that
compare the power and scalability of MySQL (with php) with other
technologies like MS sequel server oracle -  coldfusion etc....

I imagine that most middleware like php / asp / coldfusion is relatively
good & fast - (let me know if one is better ).  Mostly I¹m concerned with
the speed and power of the backend database as to how it functions on an
enterprise scale ­ such as how many hits it can handle per hour ­ how many
users before it starts to slow down etc.

honestly, if you're thinking enterprise scale then database is the least of you're worries, you'll be needing to move away from a scripting language and go for a pre compiled programming language.

if you must script this then mysql cluster is probably you're best route to gain what you need, any of the others and you're (probably) going to run into transactional problems especially with multi-master replication.

Primarily though one would imagine you'll be doing more reads than writes, in which case you'll be needing a lot of caching in there, second level not just the sql query cache.

Using PHP and suchlike is possible for an enterprise ap, but only if you bolt on massive amounts of caching at both the data side and the presentation side of your app.

Back to specifics, how the back end database will bear up in an enterprise situation (you'll like this)
assuming that all your tables are properly created and optimised
assuming you've indexed everything perfectly after analysing every sql query
assuming you've optimised every sql query perfectly and you're database is normalised and optimised for you're application structure assuming you've configured all the database server variables correctly for the application and to make the most of the hardware assuming the physical server is of a decent specification and not an old pentium 3 with 128mb ram
assuming you're application is well optimised and with no caches
then:
you'll find 1 database server will support approx 2 UI (user interface) servers of a similar running at full tilt - but you've got a single point of failure by only having one db server so you'll need to look at that :p

all in all, with a web app that's scripted you need not worry about which database server to use, pick one from preference and to budget and roll with it.

IMHO go php mysql, tonnes of reference online, loads of help, cheaper than going m$sql with windows hosting, and easier to dive in to and use well than postgres.

ps: when you've covered all those "assuming(s)" above come back and we'll give you a better idea of where to go next based on the info you give us.

Regards :)