RE: Garbage Collection

tedd,

I believe relational integrity can solve your problem. In MySQL (and
maybe MSSQL, but I am less "versed" with that product) you should be
able to put a CASCADE option on the DELETE action for your tutor table
so that when a record is deleted, its associated record in
tutors-to-courses is also deleted. I'm assuming you would want to do the
same for removing a record in tutors-to-courses when a course is removed
(but not remove the tutor, the same as you do not remove the course
itself when the tutor is deleted).

I suppose you could also do it yourself with PHP code when a failed link
is turned up, but why bother separating DB logic from the DB itself? :)

HTH,

// Todd