Re: PHP pop-up windows

Clancy wrote:
I'm working on a website editor, primarily for my own use. Normally it will be used on my
own computer, and much of what I wish to achieve could arguably be better done in either C
or JavaScript, but both of these have a similar programming syntax to PHP, but with subtle
differences, and I don't think my brain could cope with trying to work in two similar but
different languages simultaneously.

 An example of what I would like to achieve is:

The primary instance of the program opens a text input window for the user to enter, say,
one or more addresses from the contact list. It then pops up a second window, which could
be another instance of the same program. In this window the user can search the contacts
for the names he wants, and highlight them. When he is satisfied he clicks the submit
button on the second window.

When he does this the second window closes, and the primary window detects the response,
processes it, and inserts it into the entry area.

I gather that it would be possible for the first program to spawn a child process when the
user clicks the button, and this could then open the second window. I think that the child
can share session variables with the parent, so the parent could redraw its window, then
wait for some flag to be set in the session window, indicating the second window was
closing. The parent would then redraw its page incorporating the new information.

Is this a feasible mode of operation, and if so would anyone like to suggest ways to
implement it, and/or traps to be avoided?

If it's a desktop app, you could probably do it with gtk (http://gtk.php.net/) and get it to handle new windows etc for you.

If it's a web based app, just use javascript to open a new window, do it's work, close the window, bring focus back to the first window.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/