Re: php rpm

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 20:52 +0100, Yannick Mortier wrote:
> 2009/2/4  <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Wow I am so sorry did not mean to be so vague about my installation.
> > RHEL 5.3
> > The distro that comes with it is 5.1.6
> > The bad part is the Redhat does not offer an uptodate disto of php.
> > So i am compiling from source. I cant find much information on the distro's. So i was wondering if there is a distro that explained what is compliled in it. And if there was the ultimate distro that comes with everything i may ever want compiled. I know i am dreaming :)
> >

> > 2009/2/4  <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Well that is a good point.
> >> current 5.1.6
> >> I see 5.2.8 is avilable in that distribution is there more precompiled
> > options?
> >>

> > Yes, the latest version of PHP is 5.2.8. So your distribution only
> > provides 5.1.6? What distribution do you use? openSuSE, Fedora,
> > Mandriva? And what version? (10.3, 11.0 for example would be valid for
> > openSuSe). I can't tell you if there are any backports available if
> > you don't tell me that.
> >

> > --
> > Currently developing a browsergame...
> > http://www.p-game.de
> > Trade - Expand - Fight
> >
> > Follow me at twitter!
> > http://twitter.com/moortier
> >

> Sorry... I don't know enough about Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Just
> search for backports or something. Maybe someone else from the list
> can help you.
>

> --
> Currently developing a browsergame...
> http://www.p-game.de
> Trade - Expand - Fight
>
> Follow me at twitter!
> http://twitter.com/moortier

Generally I've always used the installation repositories that the
different Linux distributions have, and I've not ran into any problems
there. They'll generally get everything set up for you, with the minimum
of tinkering around of config files needed. I've got Fedora on my home
system, which is essentially the same as Red Hat, and it comes with a
good package manager that comes with many PEAR modules, lots of database
connection modules, and other things you may need like GD, SOAP, and
others. I'd say you can't go too wrong with all of that, as it lets you
add only what you need as and when you require it.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk