Re: pear:Auth invalid username/password

John Corry wrote:
I'm using Pear Auth on several sites and am looking for suggestions on the
best way to implement error reporting on a failed log-in.

Currently I'm using a function that checks if the posted username is in the
users table...and if the password is a match. Auth logs the user on if
so...but if not it takes manually running the queries to generate the right
failure message.

You mean if it's a valid username but not password?

I'd say don't. While it's a little nicer for your users ("hey, your password was wrong") - it's also a lot easier for attackers. "Hmm, that means it's a valid user, lets see if we can brute force the password".

"Username or password are incorrect" - an attacker has no idea which bit is wrong. You could force a user to use their email address as their username to make it easier to remember.

Depends on the app & audience I guess, if it's an internal only app - go with #1 (no idea about Pear Auth though), if it's public, there's no way I'd say your password is wrong, just provide a "forgot password" feature.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/