Re: frameworks

Frank Stanovcak wrote:
> Ok.  I've done some reading on frameworks for PHP now, and have this
> question.
>
> What are some good resources for learning about the various frameworks
> available, and do you recomend one over another?  If so why?
>
> I started using PHP before frameworks came into the picture, and then had to
> take my leave for a while.  I'm sure this information will also help others
> out there who are just learning the ropes as well.

Just my 2 cents since I've tried several and read through the
docs/tutorials for all of the top frameworks several times.  I think all
of these have an active developer community and user community.  I
didn't include others because they probably don't.

These are just my perceptions (feel free to correct me on facts):

codeignitor:  light, flexible, moderate features, moderate code to get a
functioning app

symfony: heavy, flexible, moderate features, lots of config needed to
gen code, little code needed

zend: moderate, flexible, lots of features, lots of code to get
functioning app, seems complex, best docs

cake: moderate, not as flexible as the others (conventions not
configurations), moderate features, no code required to get functioning
app, docs getting better but some would say not needed so much

My selection is CakePHP.  All you really have to do is create a DB with
the cake standard naming convention and run the bake script.  It
generates your dir structure, models, views and controllers.  You now
have a working app that can create, update and delete records.  Now just
start coding your specifics, etc...  From what I could tell, this was
the best RAD, however if you prefer to lay everything out your own way
and do things your own way then probably CI or Zend.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn