Re: kadm5 Library

Hi,

I'm running PHP on a CentOS 5.2 box and I'd like to get the kadm5 library to work.  The documentation says that the package is both included by default and also available as a PECL module.  The functions are not available in my base install (I'm using the PHP package from the CentOS repository).  When I do a phpinfo() I do see that "--with-kerberos" was specified at compile time, but "--with-kadm5" was not, so I'm not sure if that was a typo on the part of the person who did the compilation or if there is something else that "--with-kerberos" does.

Anyhow, I can't seem to get the PECL version to compile.  I have the "krb5-devel" Yum package installed, but it always breaks with an error message that says:

checking for kadm5 files in default path... not found
configure: error: Please reinstall the kadm5 distribution
ERROR: `/tmp/tmp7fT8eC/kadm5-0.2.3/configure' failed

It appears to be looking for "krb5/admin.h" which doesn't exist on CentOS even with the "krb5-devel".  Instead, CentOS seems to have a "krb5/krb5.h" which does contain some valid Kerberos headers, but when I modify the PECL library to use that file instead of "admin.h", I do get a bit further but then get two or three screens full of "error: 'KRB5_KDB_DISALLOW_TGT_BASED' undeclared" type errors.

So, I guess my question is has anyone had any luck getting this library to compile and function on CentOS 5.2?  Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as getting this library to work?

Thanks for your help!

Tim Gustafson
BSOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
831-459-5354

I have never used the kadm5 functions before so this is a guess. In order for PHP to compile with kadm5 you need to compile and install the kadm5 lib first and then go and compile PHP using the "--with-kadm5=/path" compile option. You need this in order to tell PHP where the library lives in the system in order to build the proper interface for you that includes the functions.

This of course is the proper way to do things. In your case you can probably install krb5 and try to compile PHP from source since with the "--with-kadm5=/path" option in order to install things the right way since I don't think that the php rpm includes that option in CentOS 5.2.

Another way (since pecl fails) is to tell pecl where the library lives. You can do that by downloading the pecl module and instead of using the pecl binary just try to compile it yourself with the usual way:

cd /tmp/
wget http://pecl.php.net/get/kadm5-0.2.3.tgz
tar zxf kadm5-0.2.3.tgz
cd kadm5-0.2.3
phpize
./configure (you have to make ./configure --help to see how to configure where the library is assuming something like --with-krb5=/path/ or --with-libdir=/path/)
make
make install

You can find the extension here:

http://pecl.php.net/package/kadm5