Re: New to PHP question

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 02:40:55PM -0500, Stephen wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>> If you want exact layout (columns
>> lined up, etc.), the simplest solution is to use HTML tables.
>>

> The horror.
>
> Do not use tables for layout.
>
> Use CSS.
>
> Especially now that Microsoft, just this week, is sending out IE 8 which
> seems to be fully CCS standards compliant.

I'm happy to be a Luddite in this area. We've been doing websites for
about ten years, and have yet to find it either simple or easy to get
exact, gracefully-degrading layouts with CSS. (We use CSS for all kinds
of nifty things, but not to line things up properly.)

Hey, I've got an idea. If someone knows of one of these uber-web-design
"authorities" who writes books touting the superiority of CSS over
tables, have them write a book showing us all how it's done ["easily"].
I'll be first in line to buy it, because I agree that page layout is not
the original proper use of tables.

Paul

PS: I have to snicker as well anytime Microsoft says they're "compliant"
with *any* standard. Their history speaks for itself; why should we
believe them now?

--
Paul M. Foster