Re: Re: php session GC error

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Nathan Rixham <nrixham@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frank Stanovcak wrote:
>>
>> So from everything I've read there is no real way to assure a session
>> timeout with out timestamping it myself and dealing with it in code by doing
>> a time compare.
>>
>> bummer.
>
> you're probably storing the session in a session cookie (which is default)
> so session.cookie_lifetime will come in to play; you've got it set to 0 so
> no session will timeout until the browser controlling the session is closed
> and restarted.. try changing it to 30 as well then you should find all
> sessions time out after 30 seconds of in activity

I was under the impression that setting session.cookie_lifetime to
something greater than 0 had a few repercussions:

1) The session cookie is written to disk rather than being stored only
in memory.
2) Because the cookie now has a lifetime, it is still valid even if
the browser closes and reopens within the cookie_lifetime.

Neither of these are something I want. Because of that (and the
occasional need to persist sessions on clustered web servers) I
usually write my own session save handler.

Andrew