Re: iconv is messing up a spreadsheet generated by the Spreadsheet Excel Writer

Is there any chance its characters creeping in from being copied from a
M$ program? I found that M$ software uses it's own character encodings
for multibyte characters which causes no end of problems for web-based
systems. A lot of it was where angled quotation marks were added my
Word, and not encoded using the UTF encodings, but the M$-style ones
instead.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Well this not the case...

This is a client list that is being exported from the mysql table and there is a whole web site that inserts, updates and manipulates in general this table. But all the data are being validated. The only thing that might be causing this is that you may import data massively using a csv file and I manged to resolve the encoding problem by asking the user to define it while importing.

The thing that troubles me is that all data are imported correctly and something like a special character or something that Excel doesn't think is right a messing all up.

I am really stuck so any help could be very useful...

--
Thodoris