Re: switch vs elseif

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 15:15 -0500, Frank Stanovcak wrote:
> I've googled, and found some confusing answers.
> I've tried searching the history of the news group, and only found info on
> switch or elseif seperately.  :(
>
> Strictly from a performance stand point, not preference or anything else, is
> there a benefit of one over the other?
>

> for($i=0;$i<3;$i++){
>     switch($i){
>         case 0:
>             header pg1 code
>         break;
>         case 1:
>             header pg2 code
>         break;
>         case 3:
>             header pg3 code
>         break;
>     };
> };
>

> or would that be better served using an if...elseif structure?

In some caes you can use a switch statement to avoid redundant code by
allowing a particular case to contain code for one condition then
allowing fall through to the next condition's code. The following is a
lame example:

<?php

switch( $foo )
{
    case 0:
    {
        // something
        break;
    }

    case 2:
    {
        // something else
    }

    case 3:
    {
        // something elser
        break;
    }

    default:
    {
        // something defaulty
    }
}

?>

In the above exmaple case 2 runs the code within it's block AND the code
within case 3's block. Using else you would probably do one of the
following:

<?php

else
if( $foo == 2 || $foo == 3 )
{
    // something else

    if( $foo == 3 )
    {
        // something elser
    }
}

?>

Or with code redundancy:

<?php

else
if( $foo == 2 )
{
    // something else
    // something elser
}
else
if( $foo == 3 )
{
    // something elser
}

?>

One has to wonder about the readability of the case version though since
one may not notice immediately the missing break statement.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com