Re: Editing in a text area field

At 11:24 AM +1100 1/11/09, Ross McKay wrote:
Nathan Rixham wrote:

HTML is a markup language used to describe the structure of a document;
presentation of HTML is controlled by either a client, with optional
instructions via attributes (bad) or css (good)

I almost agree, except that there are attributes that define the
behaviour of HTML elements that cannot be defined by css; such trivial
things as href, name, class, id, tabindex, maxlength, value, etc.

I know, I'm nit picking a bit...

No, you bring up a good point.

Realize that all the elements you described are not style elements, but as you said are behavior elements. It's debatable if behavior elements should be in a markup language at all.

From my respective, I see things in five camps.

1. Data -- such as name, address, etc -- text
2. Structure -- HMTL
3. Style -- CSS
4. Behavior -- Javascript.
5. Function -- PHP/MySQL.

Now, each of these camps overlap considerably. I was going to show good/bad examples, but the list became more extensive than I wanted for this post.

The point I am trying to make was that each language has it's strong and weak points. Just because a language can do something doesn't mean that's the best way to do it.

Discover what problems are best solved with what languages and create multilingual code that observes best practices. And along the way, try to show others (including clients) the path to enlightenment. :-)

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------