Re: Editing in a text area field

I agree with others that in most cases you should be storing input as it is
presented to you once POSTed (with the usual caveats of escaping etc to make
INSERTing / UPDATEing possible).

This is exactly what you are doing when accepting input from FCKEditor etc.
Your input contains markup, and that's what you store.

My issue with modifying content after being POSTed, prior to storing in my
db is that for all of the careful considerations that I might put into
making only 'good' modifications, I might inadvertently make 'bad'
modifications instead or as well.

The same is true if I store the text and modify on the fly on the way to
presentation, but the important difference is that my stored version has
remained true to input, and if I correct whatever I might have done wrong
during display processing, I have not permanently changed or damaged my
stored data.

M is for Murray