Re: First steps towards unix and php

Hey Frank,

My vote is for Ubuntu Linux, and the easiest way to get a PHP development environment going is by installing XAMPP.

http://www.ramanean.com/installing-xampp-on-ubuntu/

Keep in mind that XAMPP is not a production environment install, but good for development and educational purposes.

If you have other questions feel free to email me directly.

Skip

Frank Stanovcak wrote:
I've been a microshaft punk for some time now, and am just getting ready to try to step over to unix on one of my own boxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which flavor would be a good idea to start with? I'm looking mostly for compatibility with php, mysql, and other web based programming languages.

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC