Re: Re: hello

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 09:38, Allan Arguelles <allan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess its these examples that remind us that we still need to look out
> for ourselves. I got used to the idea that theres so little chance that
> I'd be a target, as a linux user, I've become less aware of these things.

    Considering one of the most prolific and effective email worms was
written in the Philippines, Allan, you may have more to worry about
than some.  ;-P

    In any case, as Nate R. mentioned, Linux is just as susceptible to
viruses, worms, and other malware.  My belief is that it's not so much
an attack on an Evil Empire[TM] of software, but that, if BeOS or RISC
were the single-most popular operating systems in the world, Windows
wouldn't get the misguided attention it gets.

    That aside, I still don't endorse Windows or any mass-produced
proprietary software.  Not to go against the grain, but because that
severely hinders evolution of all technology.  Windows had an
estimated 92.24% of the desktop market share in September, 2008,
according to Net Applications studies (the industry-standard measure).
 There's a pretty cool visualization of this done by IBM at
http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/visualizations/desktop-operating-system-market-shar.

    When a vast majority is controlled by a like-minded minority,
evolution and advancement will suffer.

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
daniel.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx || danbrown@xxxxxxx