From: Merlin Morgenstern [mailto:merlin_x@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 3:56 PM
To: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  setting up FTP account names via PHP

Hello everybody,

thank you all for your help. I got a solution running. In pure-ftpd you
can authenticate via mysql. Via a user table, exactly the thing I was
searching for.

However, there is a problem araising. Every user get's his own directory
for uploads. My next step would have been to create a php script which
will be run by cron every 5 minutes that scans one dir and if there is
content inside import it into the mysql db.
With the current setup I would need to scan all dirs to see if there are
changes inside.

Is there some kind of command where I could find out if there are new
files inside those folders? I don't see any other solution.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help,

merlin

bruce schrieb:
> merlin..
>
> if you're going to allow a user to use the same user/passwd for the site,
> and the FTP server.. i would strongly argue that you should allow the user
> only the minimal access on the FTP server. if someone hacks your site, no
> need to have them running rampant over your FTP server.
>
> i would actually argue that you can have the same username, but separate
> passwds, but i don'w know exactly what you're going to have on the FTP
> server, nor do I know your skill at securing servers/services...
>
> it doesn't really make a difference if you have separate dbs for the
> user/passwd auth systems. if you secure the overall system, it's secure.
if