Re: Re: How to count transfered kBytes in File-Download

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 13:27 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Good morning Jim,
>
> Thank your for your help, I will now adapt my scripts and test it.
>
> And if a user had done a partial download, how can I set the pointer  to
> resume the download?  I personaly find websites offering  downloads  but
> not resuming very annoying, so I like to do it better...  :-)
>
> I know I have to get a $_HTTP['????'] header for  the  partial  request,
> but which?  And then I have too seek fread() right?  But how?
>
> > Then here, do this...
> >
> > $current_size = 0;
> > while ( !feof($HANDLER) ) {
> > 	$current_size += $buffer;
> > 	echo fread($HANDLE, $buffer);
> > }
> >
> > Now, do what you want with $current_size
> >
> > Maybe have a variable that you check it against that contains the users
> > allow amount of transfer...
> >
> > $current_size = 0;
> > while ( !feof($HANDLER) && $current_size < $allowed_limit ) {
> > 	$current_size += $buffer;
> > 	echo fread($HANDLE, $buffer);
> > }
> >
> > Hope this gets you leading down the right path...
>
> Yes.  :-)
>
> However, I do not want to break downloads...
> So I check the $current_size AFTER each  completed  download  and  since
> $USER can only download one file at once, it  should  work  without  any
> problems.
>
> Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Systemadministrator
>     24V Electronic Engineer
>     Tamay Dogan Network
>     Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

I don't think this is actually possible. I've never seen it happen
before. It would need some sort of dedicated client-side software to
recognise exactly how much has been downloaded and then request the rest
of it. A browser doesn't yet have this capability I believe.

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk