Re: Question about version control.. sorta..

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone.   I decided to give Subversion
another try, since I had a server already set up from when I tried this a
while ago.   Reinstalled TortoiseSVN for Windows and got it all configured.
  But I couldn't figure out how to update existing files in the repository
without checking them out.   I tried using the RepoBrowser and I could add
new items by dragging them to the browser, but if I tried to drag something
that already existed, I got an error.

Is there any way to reimport as a new version?   In particular, I'd love to
have it just import changed files.

I'd love to also be able to select a date and get a copy of the directory in
question as it appeared on that date.

I'm sure there's ways to do this with SVN, but it's eluding me.  I'll keep
looking, but I'm thinking that SVN is overkill for what I need, even though
it's in the right ballpark.

The other option mentioned, FileHamster, has potential, but I'd rather
control my own server and storage requirements.  Plus I didn't see a way to
either whitelist of blacklist file types.  I really just want to back up
script files and not the PDFs and other large files.  So either
whitelisting by file type (or blacklisting if necessary) or even doing it
by file size would be fine.

My web host supports rsync, but I don't think I've seen any version control
options for rsync.

This seems like a fairly basic request, but it's stumping me.

-TG