Re: Question about version control.. sorta..

> What I'd ideally like to do is be able to use a CVS type system to keep
> incremental backups of the code.

Space is so cheap these days I don't think is particularly useful to
do incremental backups unless you have a hell of a lot of data. I
simply do full backups daily. Now...

> So instead of checking code out of CVS,
> changing it, then checking it back in... I'd like to just do a mass checkin
> of the whole site and have changes recorded and the ability to look at
> previous versions with DIFF and all that.  And of course the ability to
> 'check out' a previous set of files by date or revision maybe.

You can definitely do this with CVS and I assume SVN. I keep a
separate "abbreviated" change log which I compile manually from
checkin diffs. This changelog is what I publish. No one wants to know
about the whitespace changes I've done for example. Or maybe they do -
saddos

> I assume you can do this with one of the major version control systems, but
> mostly what I see with how to use these systems involves checking code out
> then checking it back in.  That's not really what I want to do.

I find it quite useful. It's an extra step but the advantages it
provides are more than worth it.

> The other issue is that I run Windows.  So if there's something nice and
> WinGUI, that'd be nice.   Please no "you should be running linux"

You should be running linux. Muhaha.

> systems.  But I have my reasons for running Windows.

There's definitely a Gui for CVS. TurtleCVS IIRC. Presumably there's
one for SVN.

--
Richard Heyes

HTML5 Graphing for FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari:
http://www.rgraph.org (Updated December 20th)