turn shared hosting server to external image storage hosting

do you have any idea how to do this. i have a small vps about 10GB
space. i live somewhere is south east asia where solutions like Amazon
S3 is incredibly slow. (500ms ping time).

i have a simple php gallery. But dedicated server is quite expensive
($100/month). searching around, i found several local hosting
companies provide a very cheap shared hosting. ($100 / year, 300GB).
local server with 40ms ping time.

i am interested to use that shared hosting just as storage for images
of my gallery and a cheap vps to store the database.

What is the best way for me to accomplish this? Amazon S3 using REST
etc. Is it possible to write a simple storage (REST system) like
amazon s3 in PHP? is there anyone wrote this before. I am interested
in your solutions..

thanks