Do defined variables exist at application scope, or session scope?

Hi All,

In the index.php file of my application I define several variables,
including such things as the base path of the app, and the theme path etc.

Since I use 'define()' to do this, are these variables available to my app
regardless of where a particular user enters the app?

So, in starting the app, I define these variables by visiting index.php. But
if another user gets sent a url to, for example, the help page, when they
visit it will those variables be available, or will I need to explicitly
check on each to make sure the variables are defined, because the user
entered at a different entry point than the 'normal' one?

Note: I will probably do an explicit check anyway, since this seems more
robust, but I ask to better understand how define works.

Many thanks,

M is for Murray