Re: Trying to prevent large file attachments in Squirrelmail, on U8.10S, is this a PHP issue?

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 11:23 -0500, Xn Nooby wrote:
> I am using PHP5 on Ubuntu 8.10 Server, it is being used by Apache and
> Squirrelmail. I have tried setting the upload_max_filesize in the
> /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini file, but it only seems to apply after I
> upload the file. My goal is to prevent remote Squirrelmail users from
> attaching large files to the emails they are drafting. They have slow
> connections, and uploading a large file would effectively hang them.
>

> Here is my question originally posted to the Ubuntu Forum (before I
> began understand it was possibly a PHP issue):
>

> Is it possible to prevent Squirrelmail users from uploading large
> files to a server running Squirrelmail?  My testing seems to indicate
> that the attachment size limits enforced by Squirrelmail take place
> *after* the file has been uploaded - at which time Squirrelmail aborts
> the entire message. I will have some remote users, and I do not want
> them to be able to upload files that are over a limit (say 10MB).
>
> If a remote user tries to attach a 500MB attachment to their email, I
> don't want them to upload the entire 500MB file, only to then have SM
> abort the message.  I want it to fail immediately, or after the 10MB
> limit has been reached.
>
> I though there was a way to do this in Apache or PHP, but have been
> unable to find it.  I am running Ubuntu Server 8.10 with Apache,
> Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get the file attaching process to abort
> before it uploads the entire 500MB file?
>
> thanks!

You could look at amending the form that is shown on the client machines
browser, and set a size there, although the browser may only use it as a
suggestion rather than enforce it. Maybe Squirrelmail already has such a
feature?

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk