Re: Read/decode barcodes from an image

AIUI:

The barcodes are on faxes and whatnot, with no predictable skew, position, nor orientation.

You've tried JOCR/GOCR, and they don't do very well.

Here are your options:
1) Shell out the money for that PaperPort OMNI or whatever it is commercial OCR product. It *is* better than JOCR/GOCR, in my experience.
[If you Google for OCR you'll find it, as it's the only/best contender, and referenced everywhere.]

2) Roll your own with GD. With sufficient skill and time, you can utilize very specific knowledge of your content to do even better than the generalized commercial solution. I have done this myself for standardized medical documents that were scanned in, getting a percentage point or two better than 1)

No matter what you do, OCR will never ever get you 100%.  You WILL need a human oversight process on the results that hand-checks everything, or be prepared to accept a (small) failure rate.

Set your [client's] expectations properly, or be doomed to frustration [failure].