Re: Re: Read/decode barcodes from an image

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 00:04 +0000, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> Adam Randall wrote:
> > I'm amazed that this either doesn't exist, or is hard to find. I
> > basically am looking for a way to read in an image into PHP, or shell
> > out to something on the Linux side, and determine, and see if it has a
> > barcode in it or not. If it does, I need to decode the barcode so that
> > I can identify the page as a separator page or not.
> >
> > Basically, what I'm doing is reading in a PDF or TIF which will
> > contain multiple pages (probably a lot of pages) and look for a page
> > containing a barcode. The barcode will identify the page as a
> > separator page which will be used to split the multipage document into
> > smaller single or multipage documents.
> >
> > Has anyone ever heard of anything that might help me in this process?
> >
> > Adam.
>
> ooh ooh why don't you do what recaptcha did and have the public decode
> them for you!

I knew I'd read about something like this recently. In Linux Magazine
Dec08, one of the projects is a Perl script that uses a scanner attached
to the machine to read barcodes and use the free service at Amazon to
retrieve information about it. I think it may be the scanner itself
which reads the barcode and converts that into a number, rather than it
being purely software based as there's nothing in the Perl code example
that seems to do this.

Not sure if this is any help?

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk