new xampp server problem w/mail

hi I have been searching for a way to get the php mail function to work and have had no luck. I was hoping you could address my situation:

I have a fairly new xampp install and I need to know how to get mail() to work. I would like to know tha simplest way possible to get the mail function to work. I guess the major problem is that my xampp install doesn't have an email server. please advise my what I need to do to get one for a linux box.

Please keep in mind that I am a newbie and need detailed instructions for installing any software and configuring any files that may need altered in the server's configuration files such as php.ini etc...

email me at linian11@xxxxxxxxx if you can help.

Thanks,
Ian