Re: Foreign Keys Question

'Twas brillig, and tedd at 12/12/08 15:16 did gyre and gimble:
My first tendency is to keep everything. After all, memory is cheap and access times are always reducing.

While it's true that having a bunch of worthless data doesn't accomplish anything and slows the process of dealing with it. But, technology in access times and storage capabilities are getting to the point of making the decision to keep/delete worthless data moot.

As such, I think the need for FK deletions will become less and perhaps disappear from the language. For some reason, I look upon deletions in similar light as renumbering a table's index after deletion of a record -- like "what's the point?"

I'm just rambling -- thanks again for your insight.

Rambling is good... I'll continue!

With data retention and data protection laws (something that can vary around the world making life for web-based providers like ourselves even more complex), I think it is increasingly important that information about a given person can be scrubbed very easily. Keeping the data may be cheap from a storage/access perspective, but complying with laws and regulations can be wearisome and time consuming.

If you FKs are fully up-to-date and have proper cascading you can be sure that a simple:
DELETE FROM users WHERE user_id=123;
really will delete all the information you store about that individual.

You just have to look at the hullabaloo over the "deactivated" Facebook accounts etc. to realise that hiding or disabling data is not enough in many cases.

Food for thought!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie