Need a brain to bounce some Mysql/DB thoughts off of!!

Hi guys.

Architecting an app that's going to have users interacting with different
levels of the db/tbls, and trying to figure out a few things.

The highlevel layout looks like:
 collegeTBL
 deptTBL

 with ->collegeTBL.id = deptTBL.colID

I also have a status tbl for each collegeTBL/deptTBL

 college_statusTBL
   userID
   collegeID

 dept_statusTBL
   userID
   deptID

 with:
  collegeTBL.id=college_statusTBL.collegeID
  deptTBL.id=dept_statusTBL.deptID

So I limk the statusTBLs to the college/dept TBLs...

This is due to the fact that a user can elect to work on either a college,
or a given dept of the college.

I'm struggling with a good/best way to figure out how to develop a query to
determine what level of a college, (if any) a user has elected to work with.

I can do a multiple join across the collegeTBL/deptTBL, and the statusTBLs,
but this simply gets a large tbl, and I'd have to then parse the results...
I'm trying to figure out if there's a better way, with a single query. The
query would look at the college(status), and then at the dept(status) to
determine what level (if any ) the user has selected.

I've got a mysql layout of the various tbls, and inserts if anyone's
interested in helping me shake my mind out on this...

thanks

-bruce