Re: how to not show login info in the url ...what am I looking for?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 7:03 AM, tedd <tedd.sperling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 11:23 AM -0500 12/11/08, Robert Cummings wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 11:05 -0500, tedd wrote:
>>  > When I say "Hack a site" I mean to do something to get the site to
>>
>>>  provide an unintended result as  expected by the author.
>>>
>>>  Much like using CSS "Hacks" to get browsers to do something that was
>>>  not intended by the original designers.
>>>
>>>  On the other hand, my understanding of "cracking" means to "crack"
>>>  some type of encryption. Thus, the reason why I did not say "cracking
>>>  the site" instead of "hacking the site".
>>>

>> Cracking is not just about encryption. It's about bypassing any kind of
>> measure put in place to prevent someone from doing something. Hacking on
>> the other hand does not embody this principle, although hacking may be
>> employed to achieve cracking. Just because pop culture is completely
>> ignorant to the difference, doesn't mean you as a member of the
>> community need to jump on board and bleat like a sheep. If you intend to
>> misuse hacker, then you should at least provide more detail such as
>> white-, grey-, or black-hat.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob.
>>

> Okay, I shall adjust my fracking terminology. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd

Cracking to me is when someone uses an already existing hack to use it for
their own gain in a malicious way to someone else.
Hacking is finding new security holes or problems with some software to fix
the security holes, or just for fun without causing any demage or revealing
sensitive information.
A hacker to me, is an admirable person, who can find new security issues.
A cracker to me, is someone exploiting hacks already in existence.