Re: A MySQL Question

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> German Geek wrote:
>
>> EXIST?  Yeah I certainly have seen it before in the result of a mysqldump,
>> but from the top of my head, I probably wouldn't have known in exactly
>> what
>> context it is used. I've used MySQL for 5 years now and i think if you ask
>> such a question, you don't know what you should be asking because the
>> context of EXIST is hardly ever needed, and if, if you know where to look
>> for it, that's more important than being able to reproduce it in from the
>> top of your head. It's like asking: "Do you know the syntax for ..." where
>> ... is a rarely used function in PHP or any other language. It's like
>> requiring your employees to know every function of a language...
>>

> You're making an assumption about the situation. What if it was for a dba
> job or teaching advanced sql?
>
> And 'exists' is not for mysqldump.

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `mytable`;

I said, I've seen EXIST in a result of a mysqldump before, which is not
wrong is it? Unless I'm hallucinating... Or is EXISTS something completely
different?
And even a DBA or teacher doesn't need to know every part of syntax in
MySQL. It's more important that they know the concepts...

Anyway, I think this is all off-topic in a PHP mailing list...

--
Tim-Hinnerk Heuer

http://www.ihostnz.com -- Web Design, Hosting and free Linux Support