Downloading file from local network machine

Hiya everyone,

I  would like to present users to our internal intranet with a link to
download a file from a folder on a different machine on our local
network (such as \\computername\folder\file)

The file may be an HTML file, in which case the page should show in the
browser, or a file which requires saving to the user's local machine,
and which may be very big.

In IE, I could do something simple like

But Firefox doesn't like doing this, for security reasons I think. I was
wondering whether there was a PHP solution. I have looked into fopen()
and fread() but not sure if this will help me.

I would like to hide all the working behind a form button so as to also
mask the download location, but that should be easy enough to do once I
get the basics working.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jon.