RE: IE8 and HTML5

specification
> being forced to mandate such behaviour. I haven't used Canvas much,
but
> it seems to me there a lot of areas of Canvas where there's room for
> further evolution, e.g. proper text width calculations? an accessible
> Canvas example? what about 3D?
>
> > Is it as a direct result of Chrome
> > being released and MS realising (finally) they are going to have to
> > remain competitive?
>
> Given Chrome's poor rate of take-up and tendency to canibalize the
> userbases of non-MS browsers, I somewhat doubt it.
>
> http://blog.statcounter.com/2008/09/chrome-whos-losing/
>
> Regardless of Chrome's technical merits, it seems to me that it's
> Firefox's growing userbase, tailed by the other popular browsers in
> some
> markets, that has long represented the market challenge to IE.
>
> http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat.htm
>
> Could be I'm underestimating the effects of press hype about chrome on
> MS's strategy, but I think actually Microsoft's turn towards a
stronger
> emphasis on standards support long preceded the release of Chrome. For
> example:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/03/microsoft-s-
> interoperability-principles-and-ie8.aspx
>
> Given that IE8 was already in beta when Chrome was released, standard
> support in IE8 is mostly a product of decisions taken before that
time.

Well, as far as <canvas /> in IE, you can fake it with Javascript:

http://me.eae.net/archive/2005/12/29/canvas-in-ie/

Yes, this is another patchwork circumvention routine to drag IE, kicking
and screaming, into the world of web browsing that exists outside of
Quirks Mode... but it works.

HTH,

// Todd