Re: Using DateTimeZone

Lester Caine wrote:
I'm looking to tidy up things a bit by clearing out a lot of old code and switching to using the internal DateTime functions.

Information is stored in the databases UTC normalized, and we get around the problem of getting a real tz offset by getting the users to register it rather than simply relying on the browser. So dates and times are displayed either UTC or user local time. The server defaults are not relevant, as only the user details should be used.

OK cracked the first bit - need an '@' in place of the "U"

The thing that I am having a little trouble establishing is the correct way to take a UTC unix epoch timestamp from the data and display it with the users timezone offset.

$dateTimeZoneUser = new DateTimeZone("user's setting");
$dateTimeUser =
new DateTime( date( "U", $datetime_to_display ), $dateTimeZoneUser );
new DateTime( '@'.$datetime_to_display, $dateTimeZoneUser );
$date = $dateTimeUser->format( DATE_ATOM );

Is giving results wildly different from 2008
So how is one supposed to handle epoch values?
That gives me the correct date - but changing the timezone makes no difference to the output - seems to be displaying local timezone only.

I little aside while sorting the lookup table for timezones, DateTimeZone::listIdentifiers() apparently should accept a country code, but again I can't seem to find out how to make it work. Would I expect it to return just values for the country requested?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL