Re: Accessing the 'media' attribute in php

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 08:15:14 +0000, ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ashley
Sheridan) wrote:

>Go with what Yeti said. The browser will automatically pick the right
>stylesheet when the user presses the print button or you issue a
>window.print() from Javascript. Whatever you do, don't have a separate
>page for "print view". This is one of those things that some bright
>spark thought to do on a site at work, and the site in question was
>already a couple hundred HTML pages, so he effectively doubled that
>figure. It makes your work harder in the long run if you need to update
>it at any time, and with the media="print" attribute set for the extra
>stylesheet, it's automatically selected anyways.
>
>On an aside, Opera has a neat option that lets you select from all the
>stylesheets a page has available, which will make it easier when you're
>developing the stylesheet rather than having to keep clicking print
>preview in your browser!

Thank you to everyone who has replied on this. While there are
reasonably good books on the individual tools (PHP, JavaScript, etc)
very few go into how they all interact, and this was the subject of my
confusion.  Maciek's succinct description has made it clear why my
original request could never be implemented, so I will have to use CSS
to achieve the results I want.

This is not THAT bad, but CSS was clearly not designed by a
programmer, and to my mind seems to have a very convoluted logic, so I
prefer to avoid using it if I can.

And thank you for the tip about Opera. That feature sounds as if it
could be very useful!