Re: category and sub category traversal

> I need some help in figuring out this logic.
>
> I have two tables one for category and other for category_hierarchy.
> category_hirerarchy has a column to determine the parent.
>
> So the query I have to retrieve tree of one specific category is:
>
> SELECT t.tid, t.*, parent FROM term_data t INNER JOIN term_hierarchy h ON
> t.tid = h.tid WHERE t.vid = 16 ORDER BY weight, name;
>
> The ones with parent = 0 is the top category
>
> Now I need to prepare an associative array with parent child relation.
>
> So bascially I need to retrieve [parentID] => array('childID', 'chidName')
>
> Can anyone shed some light on the logic involved in preparation of this
> array with out using multiple sql queries?

The structure you've highlighted is very common (that's not to say bad
at all). You might be interested in this:
http://www.phpguru.org/downloads/Tree_array/Tree.phps Which looks at
the same structure and creates a tree object from it. Using this you
will be able to manage it.

--
Richard Heyes

HTML5 Graphing for FF, Chrome, Opera and Safari:
http://www.rgraph.org (Updated November 29th)